Friday, July 9, 2010

Full with your love



      …as we watch the Gulf enfolded, blanketed, blotted with the black energy we all use and can’t entirely escape. I read in Psalm 119 this morning: “The earth is filled with your love, O Lord; teach me your decrees.”

     Have also been reading a little book by Frederick Buechner: Speak What We Feel: Not What We Ought to Say. Found these two quotes that reach beyond the time in which they were written.

“The present era of incredible rottenness is not Democratic, it is not Republican, it is national.”   - Mark Twain.

“The depravity of the business classes of our country is not less than has been supposed, but infinitely greater.” - Walt Whitman.

     Corruption has been with us since the beginning. I can’t say I’m innocent or haven’t contributed. It’s a challenge to maintain calmness and trust (as opposed to anger and ranting) and the intention to do right as creation groans with the weight of our footprints: God has not forgotten the earth. Despite the bleakness of parts and the worsening, deepening of its groaning, it will be made whole again one day. Meanwhile, I still hear wrens sing and see bumble bees drink from the dianthus in our back yard… and that’s more fullness than I deserve this day…Thanks, O Lord.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

hey margie. as someone who grew up on the gulf coast, i feel a part of my heart is being torn away every time i watch those images. thanks for this reminder. although I feel like broken-heartedness, as opposed to anger, is what it drives me to, it is good to remember that there is a bigger HOPE. that it is hope that should permeate our days and souls as members of the Kingdom.

Dena Dyer said...

Thanks so much for the reminder. God has not forgotten; and as a pastor I heard last Sunday said, "He's still on His throne." Love, love, love your blog and the wit behind it. Welcome to HCB!

Margie Haack said...

Dena,thank you for comment and for the welcome. Often need that reminder.
Jessie, I can't imagine the even deeper sorrow of someone whose roots are on those very shores, and yet you're are so right to anchor your heart and hope in what is to come.